While you're in town...
West Virginia TESOL 22nd Annual Spring Conference
Marshall University DRINKO LIBRARY and MEMORIAL STUDENT CENTER
- 1:00-3:00 p.m. - Pre-Conference Session - Basics of Second Language Acquisition for Language Educators with Echo Ke - (Drinko Library Room 138)
- 6:00 p.m. - Dinner at Marco's (located in the lower level of the Memorial Student Center)
- Immediately followed by a presentation by Ms. Rajia Hassib, author and speaker
- Immediately followed by Old Time music and dancing featuring the Stony Point String Band.
- Friday Event Flyer
Marshall University INTO CENTER and DRINKO LIBRARY
- Conference Program coming soon! For attendee planning purposes, keep in mind that Saturday events will begin at 9:00 a.m. and conclude at approximately 5:30 p.m.
Plenary Speaker: Sihui (Echo) Ke
Sihui (Echo) Ke is an Assistant Professor of Second Language Acquisition at the University of Kentucky, where she teaches in the MATESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and MATWL (Teaching World Languages) programs. She received her Ph.D. in Second Language Acquisition from Carnegie Mellon University. Her professional areas of interest include second language reading and biliteracy development, and foreign language assessment and instruction. She has published research articles in Applied Linguistics, Language Awareness, Modern Language Journal and System. Dr. Ke has won a research award as part of ACTFL’s 2018 Research Priorities Initiative. She has trained EFL and ESL teachers as well as foreign language program instructors. She invites you to visit her website at http://www.sihuike.com/.
FRIDAY SESSION, 1:00-3:00 p.m.
Basics of Second Language Acquisition for Language Educators
This session provides an introduction to Second Language Acquisition (SLA) for language educators. It begins with an overview of SLA as a relatively young research field, and then prompts participants to (1) reflect on the effective ways of learning and teaching a second language (L2), (2) explore the implications of SLA theories and research findings for classroom language teaching, (3) assess the validity of commonly used teaching methods in L2 classrooms using SLA research, and (4) apply the results and findings of SLA research to L2 classrooms and L2 teaching methods.
SATURDAY PLENARY ADDRESS
Contributions of morphological awareness to L2 English literacy development: Implications from a meta-analysis
Morphological awareness is an important predictor of L2 English literacy development. This session reports the research findings from a meta-analysis regarding the contribution of morphological awareness to L2 English reading acquisition, discusses implications for evidence-based practices, and provides suggestions for instructional applications.
- Optional registration for the pre-conference intensive workshop on Friday and Friday evening events
- All workshops and learning opportunities at the Saturday conference
- Lunch and various refreshments at the Saturday conference
- An optional free one year membership to WV TESOL.
Postmarked/Paid on or before March 1, 2019 $45
Postmarked/Paid on or before March 1, 2019 $35
Postmarked/Paid AFTER March 1, 2019 $55
Postmarked/Paid AFTER March 1, 2019 $40
Need Continuing Education (CE) Credit?
Are you a K-12 teacher in need of CE credits?
When you attend WVTESOL, you will get to hear and interact with a nationally recognized speaker and author right here in West Virginia! In addition, you have the opportunity to connect with teachers and colleagues from other states and throughout West Virginia as we work toward helping English Language Learners.
Steps for CE Hours:
- Seek approval from your CE Council or immediate supervisor regarding desired CE hours
- Check with your building administrator/county CE council/Title II (Federal Programs) Office/ or BOE regarding funding support for a professional conference.
- Different counties have different requirements. Get exact clarification as to what YOUR county needs to count CE hours and to whom you must submit the hours.
- Attend WV TESOL. Receive participant certificate as proof of your attendance at the professional conference.
Details coming soon!