WVTESOL 20th Annual Spring Conference
April 1, 2017
Pre-Conference Sessions on March 31
at West Virginia University,
co-hosted by Literacy West Virginia
About the Conference
- Surviving and thriving in changing language instruction circumstances
- Adapting known resources and practices to evolving dynamics
- Developing new tactics, resources, and approaches to solve emerging challenges
- Unconventional and “outside-the-box” tactics, methodologies, and programming
- Making sense of changing environments, legislation, processes and programming requirements
- Teaching in under-resourced environments
- Addressing challenges of rural program provision
- Learner/teacher identity and autonomy
- Language testing and assessment
- Curriculum development
- Language skills and subskills
- Professional development for teachers, administrators, tutors, and other language instruction providers
- Mobile and online learning
- Translanguaging and multilingual education
- Other topics which have relevance to the conference theme
As sessions vary in format and length, presenters are advised to state their preference and the relevance of their presentation to the conference theme or sub-theme. Where a preference cannot be accommodated, the Conference Committee will offer the presenter an alternative format.
Paper Presentations are research, theory, concepts, and practices. They are 20 minutes long + 10 minutes Q&A.
Panel Discussion is a forum for discussing thematic topics or other relevant topics within a small group. The sessions are 25 minutes long + 15 minutes Q&A.
Workshop Sessions are 45 minutes long. These sessions are interactive with emphasis on group collaborations.
Teaching Tips/Resource Sharing Sessions are 20 minutes. They provide useful information, and ideas on teaching and learning.
Poster Presentations/Exhibits will be displayed on an ongoing basis throughout the conference.
Plenary Speaker: Dr. Diane Staehr Fenner
WVTESOL has secured discounted conference rates at two different hotels in Morgantown for attendees: the Chestnut Hotel (on Chestnut Street in downtown Morgantown) and the Hilton Garden Inn (in the Suncrest Towne Centre off of Route 705.)
Conference attendees can choose to take advantage of either option for accommodations, dependent upon how close to the downtown Morgantown nightlife you would most prefer being.
345 Chestnut Street
Morgantown, WV 26505
- Conference Rate: $89 per night (plus taxes)
- Free parking (one spot per room in a covered garage)
- Located in downtown Morgantown; in the midst of the downtown nightlife within an easy walking distance of all conference locations
To make reservation at the Chestnut Hotel: Contact (304) 777-4100 and reserve with the code "WVTESOL"
150 Suncrest Towne Centre Drive
Morgantown, West Virginia 26505
- Conference Rate: $109 per night (plus taxes)
- Free parking + shuttle bus available in the morning to drop attendees at our campus conference location
- Located in a shopping plaza with restaurants and stores away from the nightlife of downtown Morgantown; an approximately 5-7 minute drive to campus
Click here for a map provided by Hilton Garden Inn.
To make reservation at the Hilton Garden Inn: Contact (304) 225-9500 and reserve with the code "WVTESOL"
Friday, March 31, 2017
12:30p.m. – 3:30p.m. – Honing your Advocacy and Leadership Skills to Support ELs, a workshop with Diane Staehr Fenner (Morgantown Public Library)
- See Diane Staehr Fenner above for a detailed description of this workshop.
- Click here for directions to the Morgantown Public Library.
- Heavy appetizers and beverages will be served. Looking for dinner? Check out one of our restaurant suggestions Downtown, at the Wharf (close proximity to downtown), or on 705 (near the Hilton Garden Inn).
- Click here for more about 123 Pleasant Street.
Saturday, April 1, 2017
West Virginia University, Downtown Campus
Check back for schedule details!
Our day typically ends around 4pm. A conference schedule will be posted soon.
2017 Conference Fees
- Optional registration for the pre-conference intensive workshop on Friday
- All workshops and learning opportunities at the Saturday conference
- Lunch and various refreshments at the Saturday conference
- An optional free one year membership to WV TESOL.
Postmarked/Paid February 15 - March 15, 2017 $45
Postmarked/Paid February 15 - March 15, 2017 $35
Postmarked/Paid AFTER March 15, 2017 $55
Postmarked/Paid AFTER March 15, 2017 $40
About Purchase Orders and Checks
Purchase orders are processed differently than checks and/or money orders. All checks and/or money orders should be made payable to "WVTESOL" as the payee, but purchase orders must be made payable to "WVAEA" INSTEAD of WVTESOL. (WVAEA, or the West Virginia Adult Education Association, is our sister organizational with a special capacity to accept and process purchase orders.)
Please mail (or attach a scan and/or copy via email) the purchase order to the following:
c/o Sumeeta Patnaik, Treasurer
38 Sunwatch Drive
Huntington, WV 25755
Remember to retain a copy of your purchase order for your own records.
YOUR REGISTRATION WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE UNTIL A COPY OF YOUR PURCHASE ORDER OR YOUR PAYMENT HAS BEEN RECEIVED.
Check back for directions!
Getting Around at the Conference
Details coming soon!
Details coming soon.
Details coming soon.
Details coming soon.